Argentine Citizenship by Marriage – Get Legal Help from Our Lawyers
Obtain Citizenship by Marriage in ArgentinaUpdated on Tuesday 07th September 2021
Rate this article
based on 1 reviews
based on 1 reviews
If you are a foreigner and you want to get Argentine citizenship by marriage, then here is good news for you, Argentina allows and provides rights to civil marriages that are registered with the Civil Registry Office. The same rights are also granted to same-sex marriages since 2010. Religious ceremonies are optional because they hold no legal status in-country. Any marriage that takes place in Argentina is also valid and recognized in other countries except same-sex marriages. If your spouse is an Argentine citizen, you can apply for Argentine nationality, because the standard two years waiting period is now waived off.
You can rely on the legal services of our law firm in Argentina. Our lawyers will assist you in obtaining Argentine citizenship by marriage.
How to get married in Argentina?
Under the Federal Constitutional Scheme of Argentina, each province has organized its own Civil Registry Offices. So, the marriages regulations may vary from province to province. For instance, in Buenos Aires, at least one member of the couple must personally appear at Civil Registry Office. This appearance must take place exactly 29 business days before the intended date of the civil marriage, to schedule such a date. But here is an exception, the couple intended to get married may appear 10 business days before the intended date of marriage. The office will schedule the marriage depending upon availability. Once the marriage date is decided, the couple must appear at a public or private hospital within seven days before marriage for a blood test. This test is aimed at screening the couple for venereal diseases. Note that if any member of the couple is found to have a venereal disease during the contagion period, the marriage would not be allowed.
Get in touch with our lawyers in Argentina for any details and legal help regarding obtaining Argentine citizenship by marriage.
What documents do you need to submit?
If you are ready to get Argentine citizenship by marriage, there will be some necessary documentation required. The couple must pay the applicable fee and provide the following documents:
- Both parties need to show the identification documents. One party being a foreigner must show a passport and legal immigration status in the country;
- In case a person is divorced or widowed, he/she must submit a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate of the late spouse. That copy must be certified in its country of issuance at an Argentine consulate or with an apostille. The prior marriage certificate and/or divorce decree must be registered with an Argentine Civil Registry Office through a court procedure;
- If a minor (less than 18 years) intends to get married in Argentina, he/she needs to provide birth certificate legalized in his/her country of issuance with an apostille or at an Argentine consulate, identification documents, authorization for marriage granted by parents or by the guardian of the minor or by an Argentine court, identification documents of parents.
You can get the legal assistance of our attorneys in Argentina for any help regarding documentation. Bear in mind, documents play a vital role and any negligence in providing documents might cause a delay in marriage as well as in the citizenship process.
Benefits of holding an Argentine passport
The Argentinian passport ranks among the powerful passports of the world and it offers visa on arrival or visa-free access to more than 170 territories and countries. Citizens of the European Union (EU), the Schengen member states and the European Economic Area (EEA) are allowed to visit Argentina without a visa. From 2022, Argentina passport holders will be part of the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS), which will allow Argentine nationals to travel to the EU for 90 days for tourism or business purposes.
You can trust the legal services of our local lawyers if you are interested in getting Argentine citizenship by marriage.
Argentina refugee statistics (2016-2020)
Argentina has a history of providing refuge to people who lost their homes or means of livelihood in their country of origin. Please find below the Argentina refugee statistics from 2016 to 2020:
- In 2017, there were 3,332 refugees in Argentina, recording a 1.99% increase from 2016;
- In 2018, Argentina welcomed 3,442 refugees, meaning a 3.3% increase from 2017;
- In 2019, the number of refugees rose to 3,857, that was a 12.06% increase from 2018;
- In 2020, there were 4,045 refugees, meaning a 4.87% increase from 2019.
Contact our lawyers if you are interested to get Argentine citizenship by marriage. Our lawyers will assist you throughout the process of obtaining citizenship.