Trademark in Argentina - Legal Advice at Affordable Costs
Trademark Registration in ArgentinaUpdated on Saturday 30th July 2022
Rate this article
based on 2 reviews
based on 2 reviews
Registering a trademark in Argentina is a fairly simple process, but you need to pay attention to the formalities imposed in this regard. For example, a first step is to check the validity of the chosen name, in order to reserve it later. Our lawyers in Argentina can explain the legal formalities and take care of them on behalf of the applicants.
How do I register a trademark in Argentina?
The National Institute for Intellectual Property is the institution that accepts the necessary documentation for Trademark registration in Argentina. Here, in broad terms, are some of the conditions and formalities to consider when you want to register a trademark in Argentina:
- A registration application starts with the Nice Classification. You must check each class or category, depending on the chosen trademark.
- The rules regarding accepted symbols must be respected. They must not be offensive, contain insults or expressions that could defame.
- Drawings, letters, numbers, colours and graphic symbols are accepted.
- Applicants must fill an opposition to the registration of a trademark and make sure that the chosen trademark has not been registered by another entity or natural person. This formality is done at the National Institute of Industrial Property in Argentina.
- Mid-term affidavit for trademark in Argentina is a mandatory document and more precisely a declaration necessary for trademark renewals in the future. One of our Argentinian lawyers can tell you more about Argentina trademark renewal.
- The applicant must present the valid identity document, as well as the company's documents if the trademark registration in Argentina is done for a registered company.
So, these are some of the formalities related to registering a trademark in Argentina. In order to ensure that everything goes smoothly, we invite you to discuss all legal aspects with one of our attorneys in Argentina.
Time frame for trademark registration in Argentina
Registering a trademark in Argentina is a fairly simple and fast process, if all the documents are accepted by the authorities. Normally, trademark registration in Argentina takes between 12 and 18 months. But during all this time, you can receive prior approval for the use of the trademark in Argentina.
What is the validity of a trademark in Argentina
A trademark in Argentina is valid for 10 years, with the possibility of renewal. But you must prove that you have used the trademark in the last 5 years, before its renewal. You can discuss more about this topic with our local experts. They can also help you with starting a business in Argentina, if you are a foreign investor.
Argentina trademark renewal - What you need to know
Argentina trademark renewal must start approximately 6 months before expiration, according to Trademark Law in Argentina. As in the case of the initial registration, you need to fill out a standard form and present the identification documents. As it is about Argentina trademark renewal, the process will take less time, and the activities will not be affected.
Here are some statistical data about trademarks in Argentina:
- In 2020, around 73,900 trademarks were registered, of which around 1,694 were in the industrial sector.
- Around 2,560 foreigners applied for a patent in Argentina. Of these, more than 2,000 were accepted.
Do you want to know more about trademark in Argentina? Do you want to know the conditions required for Argentina trademark renewal? You can contact our law firm in Argentina and ask for specialized advice.